I am a Muslim woman. I am not married, nor it is likely to happen in the near future. For me, it can easily be a non issue. But, I think it is a big fucking deal.
Here is a photograph I ripped straight from the Muslim Personal Law Board’s website –
These are the people who are claiming to be representatives of every single Muslim in India, when they don’t even include half of us – women. It seems inherently unfair that they should get a say in the problems facing Muslim women in India today.
Triple Talaq and Indian Judiciary
These are the reasons they are giving, and just reading through them makes me feel ashamed of the fact that we share a religion.
- If men can’t divorce their wives, they will kill them – I think the board is delusional on many fronts. Muslims can divorce their wives, they would just have to go through a proper proceeding. And that laws of this country still remain in force. If a woman feels threatened of this possibility, there is always the law to turn to. But that’s not even the point. Anyone who thinks that divorcing women and killing them fall into the same category is shedding the belief that women are people. They think a wife is an object to be lugged around and discarded at will, which is not the case in their own religion. Anyone who can talk about divorce and murder in the same tone does not understand that murder is a heinous crime and divorce is two people deciding they don’t want to have a life together anymore.
- Male is stronger and female is the weaker sex – Let’s say for one second you are correct. That is simply not relevant here. Do you think the strong can behave as they wish with the weak, because your religion does not support that. But hey, if you are talking about your religion, it doesn’t even support the idea that women are weaker –
- Court proceedings scandalize women – Dear personal law board, the Indian courts can have closed room hearings. Plus, many people don’t buy into baseless allegations with an intent to threaten and defame. Don’t insult their intelligence.
- Court divorce hinders remarriage – No, if that were true, Hindus and Christians would not remarry in India. They do, all the time.
- Muslim law cannot be edited – Yes, it can. It had been, for generations. It changed during Islamic empires, it changed during Islamic caliphates, and it changes today. There are thousands of Muslims who don’t buy into your idea of constant laws. In Islamic tradition, it’s called Ijtihad. Don’t use a religious stump for your ideology. Oh, and if you are, be prepared for it to be used against you, because the Quran has no mention of triple talaq.
Triple Talaq and Muslim Personal Law Board
Dear Muslim Personal Law board
Let’s be honest here. If you really cared about Muslim upliftment, you would be lining up yourself to remove this practice. It is not hard to find precedents in the Quran to oppose triple talaq, or to ensure that women who are divorced get their rights.
You claim to represent Muslims, but the truth is, you have no representation of people like me. You have no representation of women, You have no representation of the LGBT community, you have no representation of progressive Muslims. You have no representation of my parents who don’t adhere to the traditional gender dynamic of a marriage.
You are the ones whose patriarchal interpretations of the Quran have oppressed us. You are the ones who line up to prevent Amina Wadud from giving a lecture at Madras University. You are the tradition that has forced us out of our rights and we are claiming them back.
This isn’t about sticking to your religion, especially not the religion that explicitly argues against inferior treatment of women. This is about your power and control. You like being the authority that keeps people from their rights. You like being the oppressor to maintain your power. You vilify and subjugate, And as a Muslim, it remains my personal duty to fight oppression, in this case, you.
Author's Latest Works
- 2017.05.06Sheikh Saadi StoriesSheikh Sa’adi and His Dress – A Feast for Clothes Islamic Story
- 2017.04.30Society & Social IssuesUnemployment India Essay – India Unemployment Rate 2016 Essay
- 2017.04.24NotesEnglish Grammar Quiz Questions and Answers
- 2017.04.22Sheikh Saadi StoriesThankful Stories: Sheikh Saadi Stories – A King and A Slave