Global Warming Notes for Polytechnics. The notes are prepared completely from the text book, Communication Skills in English for Polytechnics.
Answer the following questions in two or three sentences each.
- What is global warming?
A gradual increase in the average temperature of the earth’s atmosphere and its oceans is global warming. Warming near the earth’s surface is also global warming.
- What are some of the causes of global warming?
The major cause of global warming is burning of fossil fuels. Cutting down the trees in large number for various reasons is another reason. This is called Deforestation.
- According to available statistics, how much fossil fuel is burnt each year?
The statistics say at least five billion tons of fossil fuel is burnt each year.
- How does the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air increases?
Large scale burning of forests around the world adds at least one billion of carbon dioxide. Thus Deforestation is the main contributor in the increment of carbon dioxide in air.
- Define the greenhouse effect.
Greenhouse effect means, “The solar radiation is trapped by the atmosphere. This is caused by atmospheric gases that allow sunshine to pass through and absorb heat that is radiated back from the warmed surface of earth.
- According to researchers, how much carbon dioxide is being added to the atmosphere by burning forests around the world?
According to researchers large scale burning of forests around the world adds at least one billion of carbon dioxide around the world.
Global Warming II Main (80-100 words)
Answer the following questions in a paragraph of not more than 80 to 100 words each.
- Discuss the causes and effects of global warming.
Global warming is the increase in the earth’s average temperature due to release of several greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
|Global Warming Causes|
Global Warming Effects
|Deforestation – It is a leading cause of global warming. New forests’ growth is slow and not stable enough to produce the much needed oxygen. Hence global warming begins.|
Burning of fossil fuels – Fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas, when these are burnt for several human needs, we are putting carbon dioxide into atmosphere much faster.
|Rise in sea level – This could result in flooding of low-lying coastal areas and cities.|
Weather – Drastic unusual changes in weather that may result in hurricanes.
Effect on Animals – Fish population could be reduced and insects that spread disease might become more common.
- How does deforestation effect our environment?
Enormous numbers of trees being cut down, both to provide timber and to clear the land for farming is called deforestation. Deforestation makes the problem of greenhouse effect worse. When trees are burned, carbon dioxide is released into the air. In order to clear forests for agriculture, people cut down and burn all the trees in area. When the flames die down, nothing is left but acres of blackened, lifeless countryside. Researchers say it adds at least one billion tons of carbon dioxide. Thus deforestation must be brought down by planting more trees for absorbing carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. (83 words.)
Author's Latest Works
- 2017.10.03Essays for Kids - Essay TopicWatching TV Essay – My Hobby is Watching TV
- 2017.10.03Essays for Kids - Essay TopicGardening Hobby Essay – My Hobby is Gardening Essay
- 2017.09.12Islamic Short StoriesMoral Story – Take a Walk in My Shoes before You Judge Me
- 2017.08.26Essays for Kids - Essay TopicCaste Reservation Essay for Children and Students