Career Guidance helps you choose a career that’s just right for you.
I. Answer the following questions in one or two sentences each.
1- What does the term ‘career’ mean?
A series of jobs that a person has in a particular area of work with more responsibilities as time passes.
2- Define ‘career planning’.
A life-long process a person goes through to learn about himself / herself, learn about careers and work situations and then make a career choice based on the research / information gathered.
3- What should be the major focus of career planning?
Matching personal goals with opportunities that are realistically available.
4- List our a few benefits of career planning.
- To be prepared for the interviews
- To develop a well-targeted resume
- To have an increased sense of self-awareness
- To realize the many career choices available
- To develop relationships with human resource professionals
5- What are the guidelines for choosing a career?
- Evaluate yourself
- Research your options
- Make connections
- Get experience
- See a counselor
- Make decisions
6- How do connections help in searching for a suitable job?
Seeking valuable information from a person who has been in the same field of interest as career guidance. Networking / making connection is one of the essential steps in the transition from a student to a professional.
7- What is the role of a career counselor in charting out a career path?
The role of a career counselor in charting out a career path is as follows:
- Guiding towards the correct path by discussing career options
- Identify the candidate’s interests and strengths
- Suggesting successful job search strategies
- Reviewing resume and cover letter
- Working on interview skills
8- List out the factors influencing career decisions.
- Information / Research
- Decision making experience
- Personal factors
II. Answer the following in a paragraph of not more than 100 words each
1- Write a short note on ‘Guidelines for choosing a career’.
- Evaluate yourself: Understand your strengths, interests, skills and values when making career decisions. This will help you choose a career that will bring a sense of satisfaction.
- Research your options: Do some research into the career options like typical job duties, job outlook, salary range and major employers.
- Make connections: Seeking valuable information from a person who has been in the same field of interest.
- Get experience: Learning by doing is a valuable way to research (career guidance). The more experience you have, the better options you can explore.
- See a counselor: Refer answer number 7 from 1st main for this description.
- Make decisions: A good amount of research will help us make better and productive decisions. (121 words)
2- How does career planning play a major role in making career choices?
1st Refer answer number 2 from 1st main then continue. Career planning will define the career path and it builds bridges from one’s current job / career to next job / career. Without career, planning one may easily stumble or lose direction. A planned career is safe and moves in the correct direction. (42 words)
3- What are the FAQs (frequently asked questions) about ‘Career fields’?
- What entry-level jobs are available in this field?
- What other career areas do you feel are related to your work?
- What career paths are generally available?
- What is the profile of the person most recently hired at my level?
- What are some of the current issues and trends in the field? (56 words)
4- List out the sample questions about a particular job title.
- What do you do as a ___________?
- How did you begin your career?
- What is a typical day like for you?
- How does your job affect your general lifestyle?
- How does your position fit within the organization / industry / career field?
- What are the rewards / challenges / frustrations of your work?
- What are the major qualifications for success in this particular occupation? (64 words)
Notes for all the chapters can be found at Notes Archive